0:00 – INTRO
0:48 – “What is Church Membership?” The “church” is not a building. It is an assembly of Christians. So we after we become “in Christ” we should become a part of Christ’s body.
1:49 – The Responsibilities of a Church Member
- “A”: ATTEND CHURCH GATHERINGS
- “B”: BELIEVE ESSENTIAL DOCTRINES
- “C”: COMMUNITY
- “D”: DECLARING, DISCIPLING, AND DISCIPLINING
- “E”: EVANGELIZING OTHERS
- “F”: FOLLOW CHURCH LEADERSHIP
- “G”: GIVE GENEROUSLY
- “H”: HOLINESS
- “I”: INCESSANTLY PRAY
2:50 – A: ATTEND CHURCH GATHERINGS
Sunday worship gatherings and“not neglecting to meet together” (Heb. 10:24–25)
Also, other important moments and environments (groups, classes, member meetings)
4:28 – B: BELIEVE ESSENTIAL DOCTRINES
Every member should know and understand basic Christian doctrines such as: the Trinity, the deity of Jesus, salvation by grace alone (see episodes 13-20)
And we should be able to explain what it means to be a Christian
5:10 – C: CREATING COMMUNITY
Jesus said, “By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another” (John 13:35)
6:50 – D: DECLARING, DISCIPLING, AND DISCIPLINING OTHER CHURCH MEMBERS
- DECLARING: Church members are responsible for voting new members into the congregation–publicly telling the world that this person is a follower of Jesus
- DISCIPLING: Younger Christians should be discipled by a more mature Christians
- DISCIPLINING: In Matthew 18:15-18 Jesus outlines how to be reconciled to others, and that sometimes when someone refuses to repent that this can lead to removing them from church membership
9:29 – E: EVANGELIZING OTHERS
Jesus commanded every Christian to evangelize others with the good news (Matt. 28:19)
- Know the gospel and be able to explain it simply to others
- Be living a godly lifestyle that reflects the gospel
10:32 – F: FOLLOW CHURCH LEADERSHIP
Follow and submit the pastors’ and elders’ leadership, teachings, and counsel (Heb. 13:17). And we should support, honor, and pray for our pastors and elders.
12:32 – G: GIVE GENEROUSLY
We should give of our “time, talents, and treasures”
13:13 – H: HOLINESS
Why do all this? Because we want to seek personal holiness and the holiness of the whole church family (1 Pet. 1:15)
14:14 – I: INCESSANTLY PRAYING
1 Thess. 5:17 commands us to “pray without ceasing”
- Thanking God for the church, its leadership, and fellow members.
- Pray for God’s blessing and help for our church, especially when it’s challenging
15:00 – SO WHAT?
- Membership is the natural outcome of the gospel itself. Step 1: Become “in Christ.” Step 2: Step into his family.
- Being a church member means a commitment to believing and living in the central core doctrines of the Christian faith.
16:26 – WHAT’S YOUR NEXT STEP?
HAVE A “HOLY” CONVERSATION
Pick someone to have a spiritual conversation with. Ask them how you can pray for them, share what you’re struggling with, or ask them how God is working in their life.
17:34 – THANK YOU & WRAP UP