Churches are led by pastors, elders, and deacons. But what makes them qualified to lead? And what do they do? In this episode, we discuss each of these leadership roles in the church.
0:00 – INTRODUCTIONS
3:00 – HOW THE DIFFERENT CHURCH LEADERSHIP ROLES EVOLVED
- The apostles established many churches & two leadership roles: elders (Acts 14:23) & deacons (Acts 6)
4:35 – DUTIES OF AN ELDER
- “Elder,” “Pastor,” “Overseer,” or “Shepherd” are interchangeable titles
- Elders are under-shepherds to the Shepherd Jesus (1 Pet. 5:1-4)
- Elders are the highest office in the church
6:40 – ELDERS OR SHEPHERDS NEED TO LEAD, FEED & PROTECT THE CHURCH
7:00 – QUALIFICATIONS TO BECOME AN ELDER
- Qualifications listed (1 Tim. 3:1-7; Titus 1:6-9)
- Elders must live godly lives (1 Pet. 5:3) & have an intimate relationship with God (Titus 2:7)
7:50 – AN ELDER MUST BE:
- Able to teach & defend the gospel
- Not greedy
- Have integrity & good leadership over his family
8:30 – CHURCH MEMBERS SHOULD HONOR & OBEY ELDERS
9:50 – A PASTOR IS A PAID ELDER AT THE CHURCH, PREACHES, AND LEADS MINISTRIES
12:03 – QUALIFICATIONS FOR PASTOR
Same as elders. Some teach more. Some churches require pastors to have a bachelor’s or master’s degree
12:40 – ROLE OF THE “LEAD” PASTOR
- Does most of the preaching & teaching
- Executive administrative role
- Officiates baptisms, weddings & funerals.
- Responsible for discipling, counseling, disciplining, & modeling godliness
14:00 – ADDITIONAL PASTORS HELP LEAD THE MINISTRY
14:15 – WHAT IS A DEACON?
- Deacon means “to serve”
- Deacon is “Assistant to the Elder”
- The first group of deacons were established in Acts 6:1-6
15:10 – QUALIFICATIONS OF DEACON (1 TIM 3:8-13)
Not greedy, sober-minded, faithful to their wife & family
15:35 – DEACONS UNLIKE ELDERS:
- Can be younger in the faith
- Do not need to teach or defend Scripture in same ways
16:15 – DEACONS ROLE IN THE CONTEMPORARY CHURCH
Humbly serve the elders. Tend to practical & logistical church needs
17:20 – SO WHAT?
UNDERSTAND THE ENORMOUS RESPONSIBILITIES THESE LEADERS CARRY.
18:42 – “WHAT’S YOUR NEXT STEP?”: PRAY FOR YOUR LEADERS
- Get a list of your pastors, elders, & deacons.
- Pick two & pray for them this week!
- Email them to thank them for leading & ask how you can pray for them!
19:35 – THANK YOU & WRAP UP